top of page
  • Mayer Insurance Agency

Can I Remove My Spouse from My Car Insurance Policy?

Removing your spouse from your auto insurance coverage.

Whether you are getting divorced, are separating, or your spouse simply wants separate auto insurance, you may find yourself needing to remove him/her from your coverage. Unfortunately, this is not something you can do with a click of a button. Here is what you should know when thinking about removing someone from your auto insurance coverage.

You cannot remove your spouse without consent.

In order to remove your spouse from coverage, you must be the primary named insured (PNI) on your policy. If you are not the PNI, you cannot remove another driver, but you can remove yourself from the policy and take out a different policy. Since it is illegal to drive without car insurance, you cannot simply remove your spouse from your joined car insurance without their consent.

Signing removal request

Your spouse will need to fill in a form if he/she is going to be removed from your policy. Without signed consent, the person paying for the policy will continue to pay for themselves and their not-yet-removed spouse. Only when an insurer as a signed consent form can they remove a driver.

Separate addresses

If you and your spouse do not share the same home address, you will typically need separate auto insurance policies. Most car insurance companies will not let you insure someone who does not reside with you.

Are you looking for a new car insurance policy? Get started on securing the right auto insurance for your needs by contacting the professionals at Mayer Insurance, serving Apple Valley in Minnesota and surrounding areas.

50 views0 comments


bottom of page